Royal Grammar School – New Pool/Sports Block
category Schools and Colleges, Sport and Leisure
client The Royal Grammar School
location Newcastle Upon Tyne
project value £5.75M
TGA were engaged by our long standing Client, the Royal Grammar School in Newcastle to work as part of a traditional design team to design the M&E services for the new £5.75m Sports and Pool block at the school.
The project was completed in the summer of 2015.
The facilities within the New Sports Block include:
- A traditional 6 lane, 25m swimming pool with spectator gantry, lane timing system and interactive teaching / coaching aids
- Wet and dry communal, staff and referee changing areas
- A 33 x 18m multi-purpose sports hall and associated sports equipment stores
- Weights and fitness rooms
- A performance / dance studio
- Staff office and reception facilities
- External spectator gantry overlooking the external sports area
- External car parking
The building services include a ground source heat pump installation which is used to supply thermal energy to an underfloor heating system covering the wet and dry changing areas.
The underground pipework array for this system was installed under the school’s all weather sports pitches as part of an earlier project in which we were also engaged.
The project also utilises LED lighting with intelligent lighting controls throughout, networked IT system, fire alarm, access control and CCTV / electronic security systems.
The sports hall has roof mounted wind catchers providing natural ventilation to offset internal heat gains produced when used for sports activities.
6 Lane / 25m
33 x 18m
Multi-purpose sports hall
A ground source heat pump installation
Underfloor heating system
LED lighting with intelligent lighting controls
Roof mounted wind catchers