• Year

    2024

  • Category

    Featured Projects, Historic Buildings, Specialist Lighting Design

  • Client

    The Wheeler Foundation

  • Location

    Ledston, West Yorkshire

  • Ledston Chapel

    Ledston Chapel sits within the confines of Ledston Hall in West Yorkshire. The estate comprises approximately 1235 hectares of mixed farmland, woodland and historic gardens. It was refurbished in 2023 as part of a wider Estate redevelopment programme.

    Project Summary

    The project consisted of the refurbishment of the general and emergency lighting with this Grade 1 listed building. The earliest recorded use traced back to the early medieval period with the earliest existing fabric within the Chapel is circa 1235. Navigating and installing modern lighting installation within the confines of the historic building was a major challenge.

    The chapel within the undercroft of the medieval hall range was set up in 1911, prior to this it had been part of the housekeepers’ rooms. The chapel itself consists of a large chamber divided into three bays by low segmental arches with a font from the early medieval period.

    TGA designed a new lighting installation for the Chapel, replacing the old antiquated fluorescent technology and also sensitively introduced emergency lighting, with all cabling hidden within the motor joints.  A Casambi Bluetooth lighting control system was also introduced to the scheme to further minimise intrusive impact on the building fabric bringing this historic setting into the modern age.

    Following the refurbishment it has resumed it use as the village Chapel.

    Want To
    Discuss A Project?

    Testimonials

    Contact Us